Frequency of significant carotid artery disease on carotid angiography in patients with left main stem coronary artery disease.
Keywords:Atherosclerosis, Carotid Artery Disease, Left Main Stem Coronary Artery Disease
Objectives: To determine the frequency of significant carotid artery disease on carotid angiography in patients presenting with left main stem coronary artery disease. Study Design: Cross Sectional study. Setting: Department of Cardiology, Faisalabad Institute of Cardiology, Faisalabad. Period: October 2016 to April 2017. Material & Methods: 140 patients were included in this study. To diagnose carotid artery disease, carotid angiography was performed. Imaging was performed while subjects were lying in a supine position. Arterial access gained through femoral artery and using Headhunter carotid angiography catheter (6F). Lateral, AP and ipsilateral oblique views was obtained. Results: Age ranges between 40-75 years with mean age of 53.91±7.05 years. There were 94 (67.2%) male patients while remaining 46 patients (32.8%) were female. Carotid artery disease was found in 54 patients (38.6%). Stratification with regard to gender and age was carried out. Conclusion: In conclusion, frequency of carotid artery disease in patients with left main stem coronary artery disease is high in our population. Therefore, screening of carotid artery disease should be recommended in patients with CAD, especially in older patients with multivessel CAD.
Copyright (c) 2021 The Professional Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.