Axillary lymph nodes and breast cancer metastasis.
Keywords:Axillary Lymph Nodes, Breast Cancer, Clinical Examination, Metastasis
Objectives: The purpose of current study is to evaluate the correlation of axillary lymph node status with metastases in patients presented with carcinoma breast. Study Design: Prospective study. Setting: Surgical Unit 1, CMC Hospital Larkana. Period: March 2019 to January 2020. Material & Methods: Female patients presented with carcinoma breast were assessed clinically and by investigation then underwent a mastectomy and axillary dissection (sampling or clearance). Data was entered into pre-designed proforma. After proper staging, surgery was done in all patients accordingly. Lymph node involvement was confirmed histopathology. Then it was correlated with clinical findings. Results: Fifty-five female patients of proven carcinoma breast underwent a mastectomy and axillary dissection. The majority of the patients (76%) were between 30-60 years, the median age being 45 years. The left breast contained the tumor in 30 (55.5%) patients while the rest of the patients had the right breast involved. The size of the tumor varied from 2cm to 12cm. 33 (61%) patients were in the pre-menopausal state while 21 (38.88%) were in postmenopausal state. In 07 patients (13%) the axillary lymph nodes were not palpable while in the rest of the 47 patients (87%), the axillary lymph nodes were palpable to a variable extent. Most of the patients were in an advanced stages. Among seven patients (N0), histopathology revealed positive lymph nodes in 3/7 (42.85%) patients. Conclusion: Breast carcinoma is a serious type of carcinoma affecting the younger generation in our community, usually diagnosed at a late stage. Clinical examination is not an effective way for proper staging. Further investigations should be performed for accurate staging and management.