Association of body mass index and gender with sleep quality in medical students: A survey.

  • Saleem Ullah Abro Baqai Medical University Karachi.
  • Ghulnaz Khalid Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.
  • Qurratulain Saleem Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.
  • Maham Khan Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.
  • Sohail Ahmed Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.
  • Fatima - Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.
Keywords: Body Mass Index, Gender, Sleep, Sleep Quality

Abstract

Objectives: To assess the association of body mass index and gender with sleep quality in medical students: a survey. Study Design: Descriptive Cross-sectional survey. Setting: Public Sector Medical Colleges of Karachi. Period: 1st January to 31st March 2019. Material & Methods: 350 medical students were enrolled after taking consent as per declaration of Helsinki. Data were collected from included students of this study, who had age of 18 to 24 years and all other students having history of insomnia, anorexia nervosa and metabolic disorders were excluded from study. All the enrolled participants were assessed by using Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). It is used as tool for assessment of subjective sleep quality, sleep latency, sleep duration, sleep efficiency, sleep disturbance, use of sleep medication and day-time sleepiness. Body mass index was calculated as weight (Kg)/height (m)2. Collected data was analyzed by using SPSS version 22. Results: The mean age of 20.83±1.54. Of the total, 14(3.7%) were overweight/ obese and 304(79.6%) were underweight. Overall 14 (3.7%) reported Good quality of Sleep, and remaining had poor quality of sleep 336 (96.3%) There was significant (p<0.05) association of Sleep Quality with gender but no significant (p>0.05) association between sleep quality with body mass index (BMI) in this study. Conclusion:  There was significant (p<0.05) association of Sleep Quality with gender but no significant (p>0.05) association of Sleep Quality with body mass index (BMI) in this study.

Author Biographies

Saleem Ullah Abro, Baqai Medical University Karachi.

MBBS, DCN, MCPS, M.Phil

Assistant Professor Physiology

 

Ghulnaz Khalid, Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.

MBBS, FCPS (Hematology)

Professor Pathology

Qurratulain Saleem, Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.

MBBS, MCPS

Assistant Professor Community Medicine

Maham Khan, Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.

Final Year Medical Student

 

Sohail Ahmed, Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.

MBBS, FCPS (Psychiatry)

Professor of Psychiatry

Fatima -, Karachi Medical and Dental College Karachi.

Final Year Medical Student

Published
2020-11-10