Frequency and morphological study of testicular germ cell tumor.

  • Jawed Iqbal Karachi Medical Dental College, Karachi.
  • Shahnaz Imdad Kehar Basic Medical Sciences Institute, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center.
  • Nazish Jaffer Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi.
  • Farah Asad Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi.
Keywords: Frequency, Histopathology, Testicular Germ Cell Tumor

Abstract

Objectives: To assess the frequency of various histopathological types of testicular germ cell tumor in our study population. The prime identification of testicular germ cell tumor is important to prevent the advance stage of cancers. The present study was design to assess the frequency of different morphological types of testicular germ cell tumor which have a mirror effect on the treatment and prognosis of tumor. Study Design: Cross sectional study. Setting: Department of pathology, Basic Medical Sciences Institute, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre Karachi. Period: 10 years period from 1st January 2006 to 31st December 2015. Material and Methods: A 34 cases of testicular germ cell tumor were studied for morphological features using all properly formalin fixed, paraffin embedded surgical pathological testicular specimens received during the above period. All relevant clinical information was recorded on designed proformas. Section were taken and stained with hematoxylin and eosin. Data entered and analysed through computer software SPSS version 21. Results: The result of study showed that the frequency of testicular germ cell tumor was 0.80% among all malignancy in male. Out of 36 cases of testicular tumor, 34 (94.5%) were germ cell tumors and remaining 02 (5.5%) cases were sex cord stromal tumor.  Among 34 cases of germ cell tumor 12 (35.2%) cases of mixed germ cell tumor found which was the most common between them, followed by seminoma 10 (29.4%) cases. However 05(14.7%) of yolk sac tumor, 04 (11.6%) of teratoma and 03(8.8%) of embryonal tumor were found. Conclusion: Results revealed that frequency of different types of testicular germ cell tumor in this study were in accordance to national and international studies. However the incidence of tumor varies noticeably in different geographical areas. Different pattern of seminomas and non – seminomas also may be emerging.

Author Biographies

Jawed Iqbal, Karachi Medical Dental College, Karachi.

MBBS, MPhil

Assistant Professor

Department of Pathology

 

Shahnaz Imdad Kehar, Basic Medical Sciences Institute, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Center.

MBBS, MPhil

Head and Professor

Department of Pathology

 

Nazish Jaffer, Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi.

MBBS, MPhil

Assistant Professor

Department of Pathology

 

Farah Asad, Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi.

MBBS, M.Phil, PhD.

Associate Professor

Department of Pharmacology

 

Published
2019-10-10