TO DETERMINE THE RECURRENCE RATE OF STRICTURE URETHRA FOLLOWING OPTICAL URETHROTOMY IN DEPARTMENT OF UROLOGY AT PEOPLE’S MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL NAWABSHAH, A 2 YEARS’ EXPERIENCE.

  • Salman Manzoor Qureshi PMC Hospital Nawabshah.
  • Muhammad Ali Sohail PUMHSW /Hospital Nawabshah SBA.
  • Aijaz Hussain Memon PUMHSW /Hospital Nawabshah SBA
  • Mujeeb ur Rehman Sahito PUMHSW/Hospital Nawabshah SBA.
  • Muhammad Shahid Bhatti Pir Abdul Qadir Shah Jelani Institute of Medical Sciences Gambat.
  • Mumtaz Ali Chandio PUMHSW/Hospital Nawabshah SBA.
Keywords: Direct Vision Internal Urethrotomy (DVIU), Maximum Flow (Qmax), Post Void Residual Urine (PVR), Urethral stricture

Abstract

Objectives: To determine the recurrence rate of Stricture Urethra following Optical Urethrotomy in department of Urology at people’s medical college hospital Nawabshah, a 2 years’ experience. Study Design: Prospective observational. Setting: Department of Urology at People’s Medical College Hospital Nawabshah. Period: January 2016 to January 2018. Methodology: Patients who fulfill inclusion criteria were admitted through Urology OPD. An informed consent was taken. All baseline investigations / Antegrade and Retrograde Urethrogram, Qmax in uroflowmetery, post void residual ultrasound scan were performed in all cases. The patients were asked to attend the OT after anesthetic assessment, under spinal anesthesia. They were advised to have follow-up visits with uroflowmetery and PVR. All the collected data was filled on Performa. Data was analyzed through SPSS Version 20.0. Results: A total of 95 patients (100 %) underwent first session of DVIU, out of 95 patients 37 patients (38.95 %) showed improvement in subjective, while remaining 58 patients (61.05%) showed deterioration. so they underwent second session of DVIU. After second session of DVIU 15 patients (25.86%) out of remaining 58 patients showed improvement, while 43 patients (74.14%) remained in agony, So I counseled them all (remaining 43 patients) for third sitting of DVIU or open urethroplasty. Out of 43 remaining patients only 23 patients willingly underwent third session of DVIU and remaining 20 patients refused and they directly underwent open end to end urethroplasty. The 23 patients, who underwent DVIU, have failed and finally they also underwent urethroplasty. Conclusion: The recurrence rate after DVIU has based on multiple factors that should be properly addressed during treatment planning to avoid unnecessary re treatment, to decrease the rate of more invasive open surgical procedure.

Author Biographies

Salman Manzoor Qureshi, PMC Hospital Nawabshah.

FCPS Urology

Registrar/Consultant

Department of Urology

 

Muhammad Ali Sohail, PUMHSW /Hospital Nawabshah SBA.

FCPS, M.S Urology

Professor

Head of Department

Department of Urology

 

Aijaz Hussain Memon, PUMHSW /Hospital Nawabshah SBA

M.S Urology

Assistant Professor

Department of Urology

 

Mujeeb ur Rehman Sahito, PUMHSW/Hospital Nawabshah SBA.

M.S Gen Surgery

M.S (Urology)

Assistant Professor

Department of Anatomy

 

Muhammad Shahid Bhatti, Pir Abdul Qadir Shah Jelani Institute of Medical Sciences Gambat.

FCPS Urology

Assistant Professor

Department of Urology & Kidney Transplantation

 

Mumtaz Ali Chandio, PUMHSW/Hospital Nawabshah SBA.

FCPS Urology

Senior Registrar

Department of Urology

 

 

Published
2019-07-10