Correlation of renal function tests with early onset neonatal sepsis.

  • Amna Iqtidar Services Hospital / Services Institute of Medical Sciences Lahore.
  • Imran Ali Fatima Memorial College of Medicine and Dentistry Lahore.
  • Aamer Naseer Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore/Jinnah Hospital Lahore.
  • Fouzia Aamer Services Institute of Medical Sciences Lahore.
  • Kiran Namoos Fatima Memorial College of Medicine and Dentistry Lahore.
  • Haleema Sajid Ameer-ud-din Medical College Lahore.
Keywords: Acute Renal Failure, Neonates, Renal function tests, Sepsis

Abstract

Early onset neonatal sepsis is invariably very common and serious problem worldwide, especially it is one of the important etiological factor for deaths of neonates in Pakistan. Acute renal failure is frequently seen in neonates with sepsis. Objectives: The aim of present study was to determine the correlation of renal function tests (Blood Urea and creatinine) with early onset neonatal sepsis. Study Design: Descriptive study. Setting: Department of Paediatric Medicine Sir Ganga Ram hospital, Lahore. Period: Six months from 20th March to 20th September 2018. Material & Methods: Total 300 cases of neonatal sepsis with acute renal failure were included in this study after taking informed consent from the parents. Cases selection was done with help of a predefined inclusion and exclusion criteria. Daily blood urea and serum creatinine were calculated from birth to first 7 days of life. If any of blood urea or serum creatinine was deranged, the neonate was labelled as having acute renal failure. Data was entered and analysed using SPSS software version 21. Results: Mean age of all cases was 2.82±1.56 days. The minimum and maximum age limits of the neonates were 1 and 7 days respectively. Gender distribution of neonate showed that 57% of the neonates were male and 43% were females. At the 2nd day of life, mean serum creatinine level was 1.12±0.39, at 3rd day 1.19±0.51, at 4th day 1.41±0.38, at 5th day 1.33±0.39, at 6th day 1.19±0.39, and at 7th day mean serum creatinine level was 1.09±0.31 respectively. At 2nd day of birth mean blood urea was 54.82±34.77, at 3rd day59.50±28.22 at 4th day 74.94±30.37, at 5th day 67.09±26.94, at 6th day 56.09±25.76, at 7th day mean blood urea level was 47.66±22.47 respectively. Frequency of acute renal failure was observed in 28.3% of the neonates while the remaining 71.7% of neonates did not suffer from acute renal failure. Conclusion: Early onset neonatal sepsis contributes significantly to development of acute renal failure in neonates.

Author Biographies

Amna Iqtidar, Services Hospital / Services Institute of Medical Sciences Lahore.

MBBS, FCPS (Paeds Med)

Senior Registrar Paediatric Medicine

Imran Ali, Fatima Memorial College of Medicine and Dentistry Lahore.

MBBS, M.Phil (Biochem)

Assistant Professor Biochemistry

 

Aamer Naseer, Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore/Jinnah Hospital Lahore.

MBBS, FCPS (Paeds Med)

Associate Professor Paediatric Medicine

 

Fouzia Aamer, Services Institute of Medical Sciences Lahore.

MBBS, FCPS (Haematology)

Assistant Professor Hematology

 

Kiran Namoos, Fatima Memorial College of Medicine and Dentistry Lahore.

MBBS, M.Phil (Biochem)

Assistant Professor Biochemistry

 

Haleema Sajid, Ameer-ud-din Medical College Lahore.

MBBS, M.Phil (Biochem)

Demonstrator Biochemistry

 

Published
2020-02-10