Association of high density lipoprotein levels with advancing age in type 2 diabetes patients in Tertiary Hospital.

  • Shahzad Alam Khan Nishtar Medical University, Multan.
  • Iqra Imtiaz CMH, Multan.
Keywords: Advancing Age, Low HDL, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

Abstract

Background: HDL particles have several biological functions. Low levels of HDL-cholesterol are responsible for atherosclerotic disease. Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic disease of chronic etiology and low HDL‐cholesterol is frequent finding in diabetics. Levels of HDL with advancing age are inconsistent, few study show decline in HDL with increasing age while others show vice versa results. Objectives: Objective of this study was to establish an association between low HDL levels with advancing age in type 2 diabetic patients. Study Design: Cross sectional descriptive study. Setting: Diabetes Outpatient Department Nishtar Hospital Multan. Period: 6 months extending from March 2018 to August 2018. Materials and Methods: 145 patients with newly or previously diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus, age >35 years were considered for the study. Those diabetics who had family history of dyslipidemias (to rule out familial hyperlipidemias) were excluded. Study was started after acquiring permission from ethical committee. All the patients were evaluated for the HDL levels by getting a fasting lipid assay. Results: Out of 145 cases 78 (53.6%) were males while remaining 67 (46.4%) were female. Mean age of the patients was 57.27 + 6.91 years. Mean HDL level was 37.82 + 8.42. It was seen that HDL is low in 116/145 (80%) patients. Those diabetic patients who were < 60 (91 cases), HDL was noticed to be low in 67/91(73.62%) patients. Among patients >60 years (54 cases), HDL was identified to be low in 49/54(90.7%) patients. P-value was found out to be 0.012 Conclusion: Due to falling levels of HDL with advancing age in diabetic patients, there is increase in cardiovascular events in elderly diabetic patients. So the measures which tend to increase HDL level will also give protection against adverse cardiovascular event in elderly diabetics.

Author Biographies

Shahzad Alam Khan, Nishtar Medical University, Multan.

MBBS, FCPS

Assistant Professor

Department of Medicine

 

Iqra Imtiaz, CMH, Multan.

MBBS

Demonstrator

Department of Biochemistry

 

Published
2019-09-10