VAGINAL DISCHARGE

FREQUENCY OF DIFFERENT ORGANISMS RESPONSIBLE FOR VAGINAL DISCHARGE

  • Aasma Hanif University College of Medicine & Dentistry Lahore.
  • Rahila Farhat Chaudhry Aziz Fatimah Medical & Dental College, Faisalabad.
  • Munazzah Bashir Islam Medical College, Gujranwala.
Keywords: Bacterial vaginosis, Candida Albicans, Prevalence, Vaginal discharge

Abstract

Objective: To find out the causative organisms of vaginal discharge in
reproductive age. Study Design: A descriptive case study. Setting: Department of Obstetrics
and Gynaecology, Independent University Hospital Faisalabad. Duration of Study with Dates:
One year from 01-01-2012 to 31-12-2012. Subjects and Methods: A total of 369 patients were
included in this study One swab for wet mount to see clue cells, pus cells, budding yeast
cells and locomotory effect of Trichomoas vaginalis and to see growth by gram staining in
pathology department and reported by pathologist. Results: Mean age of the participents was
29.66±6.40 years. In 369 patients, 356 (96.5%) were married while remaining 13 patients (3.5%)
were unmarried. Frequencies of different organisms responsible for vaginal discharge among
women of reproductive age were as follows: candidiasis 114 (30.9%), bacterial vaginosis 182
(49.4%), trichomonal infection 22 (6.0%), gonococcal vulvovaginitis 9 (2.4%) and genital herpes
noted in 2 (0.5%). Remaining 40 patients (10.8%) were normal. Conclusion: Vaginal discharge
is a common complaint in Gynae outpatients. In our study, the frequency of bacterial vaginosis
was highest. Remaining causes are negligible except candidiasis.

Author Biographies

Aasma Hanif, University College of Medicine & Dentistry Lahore.

MBBS, FCPS
Senior Registrar
Department of Gynae & Obst.

Rahila Farhat Chaudhry, Aziz Fatimah Medical & Dental College, Faisalabad.

MBBS, MCPS, FCPS
Associate Professor
Department of Gynae & Obst.

Munazzah Bashir, Islam Medical College, Gujranwala.

MBBS, FCPS
Assistant Professor
Department of Gynae & Obst.

Published
2018-09-10